Urban Splash parking charges are going to kill off regular visitors.

The Royal William Yard in Stonehouse Plymouth having once played a major role in the supremacy of the British Navy now has a brand new role to play in the regeneration of the city's waterfront.Recognised by English Heritage as one of the 30 best development schemes in the UK involving an historic environment.
Because the buildings are listed by English Heritage,the redevelopment is being done with great care.
The developers are Manchester-based Urban Splash, who are doing the work to the inside of the various buildings which make up the Royal William Yard.
The complex is a mix of apartments, businesses and leisure space - including a cafe open to the general public.
And, for the first time, the peninsula with views across the Tamar is open to the public, after being a no-go area while in the hands of the Royal Navy for over 150 years.

The Royal William Yard Plymouth
The Clarence,now blocks of luxury flats.--- The rear of the Brewhouse.
The Royal William Yard Plymouth

A short history:
The Royal William Victualling Yard on the banks of the River Tamar was designed by Sir John Rennie (1794-1874) for use by the Admiralty as a victualling depot for the Royal Navy, to supply stores and ensuring the ships had sufficient stocks of food and drink.
The 18-acre peninsula includes a section which was reclaimed from the sea. The yard was built between 1825 and 1835 with the help of convict labour.
On June 3rd 1824, in King George IV’s reign, the Royal Assent was given to an Act of Parliament authorising the purchase of land at Cremill Point for the supply of water to the new Yard.
Work started in 1826 and in the following year the Duke of Clarence laid the coping stone of the sea wall. This was laid 11 feet under water by means of a cast-iron diving bell measuring only 6ft x 4ft.
In the course of its construction it is estimated that 300,000 tons of rock were displaced. The works were carried out by the contractor Hugh McIntosh at a cost of about £2 million pounds under the superintendence of Sir John Rennie and Mr Philip Richards who was paid £400 per year and given a house.
Old Print The Royal William Yard Plymouth
Old print of the Royal William Victualling Yard.

The Royal William Yard Plymouth

The granite entrance gateway in Cremyll Street is in the Greco-Roman style.
On the top is a 13 feet 9 inch high statue of King William IV in Portland stone, surrounded by carvings showing the trades that flourished inside the walls butchers, bakers and coopers,also the carved ox heads and crossed fouled anchors, both symbols of the Naval Victualling Board.
The Yard was completed in 1835, when the Duke of Clarence had succeeded to the Throne as King William IV and as a result of an Admiralty Order dated 3rd December 1833 it was named the Royal William Victualling Yard after King William IV, the last Lord High Admiral.

Mills Bakery The Royal William Yard Plymouth

The Mills Bakery building started operating in 1843, where two 40hp steam engines drove 27 millstones capable of grinding 100 bushels of corn every hour, or 270,000 lbs (122,500 kilos) every week. It also housed 12 conveyor ovens. It is thought this was never used to full capacity,baking ended in 1925.
It has now been restored into new apartments which are full of original features while offering a modern way of living. For those that like to work close to home, Mills Bakery also has flexible office space as well as ground floor restaurant or retail space.Apartment and work spaces are carefully separated from each other, creating a busy working building and a relaxing community of comfortable homes.

The Dock The Royal William Yard Plymouth
The Basin.

Two sides of Mills Bakery look out directly onto water,one of which overlooks the Basin.
Another side looks out onto the Hamoaze, the estuary of the tidal River Tamar. There can be no better waterfront location in Britain.

The Royal William Yard’s interior dock, accessed by a unique swing bridge which includes a new marina with berths for 28 boats, 18 of which will be on a pay and display format.
Overlooking the Basin is the Melville Block, named after Lord Melville, who was the First Lord of the Admiralty in 1827. In spite of its grand design, it was a general storehouse and also served as the administration block. The entrance has a clock and bell tower, the clock was built by Vulliamy & Son of Pall Mall in London.
The clock has a teak-wood pendulum that is 14 feet in length, supporting a ball weighing 2½ cwt. In 1893 it was said that it vibrated once in every two seconds in an arc from 3º to 3º 30´ from the zero point of rest. The clock at that time composed of 1,393 pieces.The buildings enclose Melville Square.

The Hamoaze Plymouth
The Hamoaze,the estuary of the tidal River Tamar.

The Ferry  Royal William Yard Plymouth
The Royal William Yard now has its own Water Bus to the historic Barbican Mayflower Steps near the city centre it will operate from 10am to 6pm every day until September.

The Cooperage Royal William Yard Plymouth
The New Cooperage Building. Le Vignoble at The Royal William Yard.
A unique wine shop and lounge owned and run by accomplished wine connoisseur Yannick Loué, designed by Eugene Sellors.
With a collection of over 2,000 bottles of wine Le Vignoble, which means ‘the vineyard” will focus on sharing a love, passion and knowledge of wine.

The Royal William Yard Plymouth
The Royal William Yard from Mt.Edgcumbe.
Plymouth's River Cottage restaurant has just closed down suddenly.
River Cottage

Now closed possibly not the last. Urban Splash parking charges are not helping.

Royal William Bakery
The Royal William Bakery.

Seco Lounge
Seco Lounge. 12-14 Mills Bakery, Royal William Yard

Prezzo Plymouth's waterfront location offers guests stunning sea views

Wildwood Unit C, Slaughterhouse, Royal WIlliam Yard, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 3QQ. Monday to Sunday 12pm – 11pm. Tel.: 01752 967444. The newly opened Wildwood in Royal William Yard is located next to the Bakery in the Slaughterhouse building in the historic Plymouth Royal William Yard. This beautifully designed restored old Slaughterhouse is perfect for any occasion.

The Royal William Yard on the approach from the River Tamar.

Acceptance Mark